Saint Joseph Hospital School of Nursing founded.
Sister M. Lilosa becomes the first director of the Saint Joseph Hospital School of Nursing. The first students entered on November 1, 1920. Dormitories are in small cottages, south of the old hospital site at Broadway and Division Streets. Classrooms are located on the ground floor of the hospital.
|Student nurses (1924) with the Sisters|
Graduating class (1933)
The school becomes accredited by the Department of Registration and Education, State of Illinois. The first graduation ceremonies are held at Saint John's Hall on October 27. Seventeen seniors (10 sisters and seven lay students) receive diplomas.
Sister M. Priscilla begins continuous service as school director. Nurses' home residence for students is built.
Course affiliation with DePaul University in Chicago, Illinois and the University of St. Francis in Joliet, Illinois.
Students from St. Francis Hospital in Freeport, Illinois affiliate for pediatrics.
A Cadet Nurse training program is inaugurated to prepare nurses to meet the needs imposed by World War II.
The 500th graduate of the school receives her diploma.
Students from St. Charles School of Nursing in Aurora, Illinois begin pre-clinical affiliation.
Students from St. Mary School of Nursing in LaSalle, Illinois affiliate for obstetrics.
Students affiliate for psychiatry with Fergus Falls State Hospital in Fergus Falls, Minnesota.
Students from St. Charles School of Nursing in Aurora, Illinois affiliate in basic science.
Approved by State Board of Examiners for psychiatric affiliation with Elgin State Hospital in Elgin, Illinois.
Students from St. Elizabeth School of Nursing in Danville, Illinois affiliate for first year.
Students from St. Anthony de Padua in Chicago affiliate for the first year.
School moves to temporary quarters in the new hospital building on January 26. Students participate in the big day of moving patients. On July 1, 1964, St. Joseph Hospital School of Nursing becomes the first day school of nursing in the state of Illinois.
Sister Priscilla retires and Margaret Brophy is appointed director.
Lois Benich is named director. Authorized by Illinois Department of Registration and Education to offer psychiatric nursing on site.
The school sees an increase in "non-traditional" student enrollment. Older students return to prepare for a new career. Increasing numbers of graduates plan to pursue a Bachelor of Science degree in nursing.
Course affiliation established with Joliet Junior College.
Following an extensive needs assessment, the decision was made to become an upper division college. Approval is given to confer the baccalaureate degree in nursing and change the name to "Saint Joseph College of Nursing." Lois Benich is appointed President.
The last class graduates from the diploma program.
The first BSN class is admitted in August of 1988 and graduated in 1990. The baccalaureate nursing program receives approval from the Illinois Board of Professional Regulation (1987) and the Illinois Board of Professional Education (1987), accreditation from the National League for Nursing (1994) and accreditation from the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (1992).
Accredited by the Northern Central Association of Colleges and Universities (NCA).
Accredited by the National League for Nursing (NLN). Lois Benich retires. Dr. Virginia E. Keck is named President.
Enrollment reaches 185 students. The Saint Joseph College of Nursing celebrates its 75th Anniversary.
On January 1, Saint Joseph College of Nursing becomes a division of the College of St. Francis and takes on the Allied Health Programs. A year later, the move to university status is formalized. On January 1, 1998, the division is renamed the College of Nursing and Allied Health.