A lung cancer diagnosis can be scary. But with the experts at Presence Health, you don’t have to face it alone. We offer the complete spectrum of life-saving screenings and treatments close to where you live and work, so you won’t have to travel far to get the highest level of care.
In addition to using advanced treatments, we excel at minimizing pain and side effects. Through every phase of the journey, we take time to learn your personal preferences and help you preserve your quality of life.
About Lung Cancer
The two most common types of lung cancer are small cell lung cancer (SCLC) and non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). SCLC is more aggressive than NSCLC, but more rare. Close to 85 percent of lung cancer cases are NSCLC.
Your individualized treatment plan depends largely on the stage of the lung cancer when we diagnose it. Usually, lung cancer symptoms only appear once the disease is in advanced stages. However, a newly developed, affordable cancer screening, called the low-dose CT scan, has shown promising results in catching the disease early.
Why Choose our Lung Cancer Care?
- Top-ranked hospitals: Our hospitals consistently rank among the best in the nation by U.S. News & World Report. We’ve also received special accreditation and Center of Excellence designations from the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer and the American College of Radiology for our exceptional standards.
- Highly qualified physicians and specialists: Our network includes highly regarded, board-certified pulmonologists, cardiothoracic surgeons, radiation oncologists and oncology nurses who have treated hundreds of lung cancer cases.
- Low-dose CT scanning: This groundbreaking, 15-minute screening test can now detect lung cancer in its earliest and most treatable stages, reducing the risk of death by up to 20%.
- Advanced tests and treatments: Many of our centers offer innovative options such as:
- Endobronchial ultrasound: A less-invasive imaging process to determine stages of lung cancer.
- Trilogy™: A highly advanced 3-D linear accelerator treatment that treats lung lesions, hard-to-reach tumors and relieves pain.
- High-dose rate (HDR) brachytherapy: A treatment technique that places radiation as close as possible to the tumor, while sparing healthy surrounding tissue.
- Infusion therapy: Infusion suites with amenities like nature views, personal TVs and refreshments make your chemotherapy sessions as comfortable as possible.
- Shorter wait and travel times: At many of our locations, you’ll see an expert lung cancer oncologist within 48 hours of diagnosis—without having to travel outside your community. Getting treatment nearby also means getting back to normal life sooner.
- Lung cancer clinical trials: We are one of the few systems approved in Illinois to offer Phase One through Four clinical trials. You may be a candidate for innovative treatments and tests before they become available to the public. We currently offer several ongoing clinical trials related to lung cancer.
- Smoking cessation programs: Effective programs that include prescription nicotine-replacement drugs, counseling, support groups and meetings with physicians.
- Cancer support services: We know that cancer affects all aspects of your life. Our team offers the full spectrum of cancer support services, including your own dedicated patient navigators, dietary assistance and pastoral care. We’re also here to help with financial concerns, transportation issues and other needs.
Take Charge of Your Health—See a Lung Cancer Specialist
Presence Health offers comprehensive lung cancer care centers throughout Illinois. Explore a convenient location below, or call 877.737.4636 and we’ll point you to the right place:
For your transition out of the hospital and recovery, learn more about the Presence Life Connections nursing and rehabilitation centers and Presence Home Care options near you.