We deliver excellent care – right from the beginning.
At The Family Birthplace at Presence Saints Mary and Elizabeth Medical Center, you'll find a family-friendly atmosphere in a safe and comfortable environment. The Family Birthplace offers outstanding care – right in your neighborhood, close to home.
The Family Birthplace at Presence Saints Mary and Elizabeth: Why Choose Us
We’re committed to giving you the best possible birth experience and helping you and your baby get off to a great start.
- A team of specialists to care for you: The Family Birthplace provides comprehensive care 24/7 by a team of specialists who are highly skilled, compassionate and multi-lingual. Our team includes board-certified obstetricians, certified nurse-midwives (CNMs) and a neonatologist with special training in caring for high-risk newborns. We also have anesthesiologists on site to provide medical pain management, such as an epidural, if you choose.
- A family birthing experience: We know how important the birth of your baby is to your entire family. That's why we encourage the baby's father, siblings, grandparents and other relatives to be as involved as they wish – before, during and after the birth. We allow dad and one other support person to be present for the delivery from beginning to end. Our liberal visiting hours allow family members to spend plenty of time with mom and the new baby. Typically, newborns are with their moms in the room around the clock. Our Labor/Delivery/Recovery/Postpartum (LDRP) suites include:
- In-room bathroom and shower.
- Subdued lighting to help you relax.
- An oversized guest chair that converts to a bed for your support person.
- A large, heated tub in your private suite to provide comfort during labor.
- Classes and support: Making sure you're prepared and confident about the entire birth experience is important to us. Before birth, we offer tours and classes such as breastfeeding, birth preparation, infant care and infant CPR. Once you have your baby, we provide you with all the help you need. If you're breastfeeding, we have specially trained nurses to guide you. When you go home, you may have questions and even some concerns. Your nurse will give you our Parent Helpline number before you leave so you can call us if you need advice or reassurance.
- Certified Nurse Midwives (CNM) available: If you are interested in having a CNM provide prenatal care and deliver your baby, we have board-certified midwives on staff. With graduate degrees in advanced practice nursing, our CNMs offer university-level expertise in a community-hospital setting. They provide prenatal, childbirth and postpartum care, as well as women's health care throughout their lifespan. Our CNMs deliver babies for healthy low-risk women. If there are any unanticipated complications, we have obstetricians and neonatologists on the unit 24/7. For more information about CNMs, please call 312.405.9948.
- Advanced care for your baby, including:
- Level II+ NICU / Advanced Care Nursery with advanced monitoring and neonatal intensive care.
- Specially trained nurses for high-risk and pre-term babies.
- A special fetal assessment area for diagnostic testing before the baby is born.
- Electronic fetal monitoring of the baby.
- State-of-the-art security system.
For more information, to register for a class, find a doctor or arrange a tour, call us at 877.737.4636 (INFO).