Presence Saint Joseph Medical Center

1866 
Four young women accept the call to serve the needy in Seelbach, Germany, forming the nucleus of the Franciscan Sisters of the Sacred Heart.

1876  
After exile from Germany, the Sisters arrive in America, settling in  Avilla, Indiana. 

1881 
The Sisters arrived in Joliet to care for the desperate populace weakened by an epidemic of typhoid fever.

1882
The community, under the auspices of the Board of Health, donates $600 toward the creation of a hospital to be operated by the Sisters. Smallpox breaks out and the Sisters declare quarantine, moving patients out of the city to a small farmhouse which becomes a temporary hospital. With financial support from the townsfolk, the Sisters purchase and renovate a convent on Broadway and Division Street, dedicating the facility to St. Joseph in August, 1882. The Sisters care for patients here for several years until a new hospital can be built.

1885
Property is purchased for a hospital site. 

1895
The cornerstone for a new hospital/chapel is laid.

1896  
A dedication ceremony is held for new hospital and chapel. 

1906 
The first hospital addition is constructed and dedicated. 

1911
A nurses training school created exclusively for Sisters is opened. 

1919
With the population booming, a maternity ward is added. 

1920
A nurse training school is opened for laity.

1922
First class graduates from the St. Joseph School of Nursing.

1927  
The hospital receives another building addition.

1942 
The East Wing addition is built to accommodate 40 patients.

1955 
The Women's Auxiliary is chartered.

1957  
Plans to build a new 200 bed hospital are officially announced.

1960  
The School of Nursing receives accreditation.

1961 
A Ground breaking ceremony is held for another new hospital.

1961 - 1964   
Construction of the new facility takes several years and millions of dollars.

1963
Always a leader in technology, Saint Joseph Hospital becomes first in Joliet to purchase Cardiac Defibrillator-Pacemaker. An IBM computer is used for the first time to post patient charges. 
 
1964
With the help of 250 volunteers and a community-wide effort, Operation Lifeline commences, moving 102 patients to the new facility in an astonishing 5 ½ hours.

1965
The first mental health unit opens at St. Joseph.

1966 
 - The original hospital building is demolished.
 - The hospital cares for its first Medicare Patient and cardiac monitoring begins.

1967
 Just a few short years after it is opened, the hospital requires expansion.

1968 
The first heliport is installed marking a new era in patient transport.

1970 
 Patient care is revolutionized with the advent of outpatient surgery.

1972
A groundbreaking ceremony is held for yet another expansion, increasing the hospital's size from 400,000 square feet to 600,000 square feet. 

1978
The region's first EMI CT brain scanner debuts at St. Joseph. 

1980
Franciscan Sisters Health Care Corporation is established. The hospital opens its first pulmonary function lab and makes advances in computer operating systems.

1981
he Department of Pastoral Care was established.

1982
A joyous Centennial Celebration is held in August. "St. Joseph Hospital Day" is declared by the Illinois State Senate in September.

1984  
Cardiac Catheterization Department opens and the hospital earns new title of "Medical Center"
 
1985 
Groundbreaking ceremony held for Cancer Care Center.

1987
MRI technology is introduced as the newest diagnostic tool.

1990 - August 28
Plainfield tornado hits the community hard, devastating neighborhoods throughout the region and throwing St. Joseph Medical Center into action to help those in need.

1991
 - Saint Joseph Medical Center Foundation established to "provide assistance to Saint Joseph Medical Center to continue the healthcare mission established by the Franciscan Sisters of the Sacred Heart." 
 - Surgeons at Sain Joseph Medical Center perform the first Open Heart Surgery

1997
 - Project Renewal comes to fruition. With fundraising initiated by the Foundation, the $33 million project included the construction of 16 Labor/Delivery/Recovery/ Postpartum rooms, 18 emergency trauma stations and Chest Pain Center, four Emergency Express Care Rooms, seven new operating rooms, and 90,000 square feet of new space.
 - Provena Health is established. The new Catholic integrated healthcare delivery system was formed by the merger of Franciscan Sisters Healthcare Corporation, ServantCor, and Mercy Center for Health Care Services. The medical center is now called Provena St. Joseph Medical Center.

2002
Provena St. Joseph celebrates ten years as Will County's sole provider of open heart surgery. The program resides on the entire fourth floor of the Medical Center, existing as a hospital within a hospital, and providing the highest level of care in the region for heart patients.

2003
Bariatric Surgery program available at the Medical Center.

2004
 - Peripheral Plaque Excision technology is implemented.

 - Unveiling of the new main lobby and patient registration.

 - One of the first hospitals in the Chicago area to utilize the the TAXUSTM Express2TM  Paclitaxel-Eluting Coronary Stent system.

 - One of first facilities in the state to utilize new lifting program.

 - Emergency Neurosurgery and comprehensive neuroscience services are brought back.

2005
 - Provena Saint Joseph receives approval to build eight-story patient tower.

 - Electronic ICU is introduced at the Medical Center.

 - The Pediatric Unit is renovated and state of the art lighting is installed in the surgical suites.

 - Provena Saint Joseph Medical Center officials announced today their plans to team with the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) to bring neurosurgery coverage and comprehensive neuroscience services back to the people of Will County. 

2006
 - New Picture Archiving and Communications Systems are introduced giving physicians instant access to diagnostic images and reports.

 - Provena Health is named one of the top 25 health systems in the nation by Total Benchmark Solutions.

 - State of the art CT scanner is introduced and the heart center the Medical Center is accredited as a Chest Pain Center.

 - Provena Saint Joseph Medical Center now houses the only fully-operational 64-Slice CT scanner in Will County. The new CT scanner is another example of the Medical Center’s ongoing commitment to building excellence and providing state-of-the-art care to the community.

 - The Madison Medical Plaza, located on the Medical Center campus, is completed and dedicated. This building houses the Surgery Center of Joliet and the new Provena Center for Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine.

 - The Medical Building at Caton Farm is dedicated. This building houses Will County Medical Group and Provena Physical Therapy services.

2008

 - One of only two accredited EEG Labs in Illinois. Achieved The Joint Commission's Gold Seal of Approval  following an unannounced survey February 2008.

2009 - August
 - Designated by the Joint Commission as a Certified Primary Stroke Center.

2011
 - The new 3T MRI, which offers more comfort, speed, and diagnostic confidence, is introduced in March.

 - Provena Health and Resurrection Health merge to become Presence Health, the largest healthcare network in the Midwest in history.