Saint Joseph Hospital School of Nursing was founded.
Dormitories were in small cottages, south of the old hospital site at Broadway and Division Streets.
Classrooms were located on the ground floor of the hospital.
The first students entered on November 1, 1920.
Sister M. Lilosa Limacher became the first Director.
The school became accredited by the Department of Registration and Education, State of Illinois.
The first graduation ceremonies were held on October 27 with 17 seniors (10 sisters and seven lay students receiving diplomas at Saint John’s Hall.)
Nurse’s home residence for students built.
Sr. M. Priscilla began continuous service as school director.
Photo below: Student nurses (1924) with the Sisters.
Course affiliation with DePaul University in Chicago, Illinois and the University of St. Francis in Joliet, Illinois.
Students from St. Francis Hospital in Freeport, Illinois were affiliated for Pediatrics.
A Cadet Nurse training program was inaugurated to prepare nurses to meet the needs imposed by World War II.
The 500th graduate of the school received her diploma.
Photo below: Graduating class, 1933.
Students from St. Charles School of Nursing in Aurora began pre-clinical affiliation.
Students from St. Mary School of Nursing in LaSalle began affiliation for Obstetrics.
Students began Psychiatric affiliation with Fergus Falls State Hospital in Fergus Falls, Minnesota.
Students from St. Charles School of Nursing in Aurora were affiliated in Basic Science.
Approved by State Board of Examiners for Psychiatric affiliation of students with Elgin State Hospital in Elgin, Illinois.
Students from St. Elizabeth School of Nursing in Danville, Illinois affiliated for first year.
Students from St. Anthony de Padua in Chicago are affiliated for the first year.
Moved to temporary quarters in the new hospital building on January 26.
Students participated in the big day of moving patients.
On July 1, 1964, St. Joseph Hospital School of Nursing became the first day school of nursing in the state of Illinois.
Sr. Priscilla retired, and Margaret Brophy was appointed Director.
Lois Benich named Director.
The population in Joliet began to change. There was an increase in "non-traditional" student enrollment. Many students are older, returning to prepare for a new career.
Increasing numbers of graduates plan to pursue a Bachelor of Science degree in nursing.
Authorized by Illinois Department of Registration and Education to offer Psychiatric nursing on site.
Course affiliation established with Joliet Junior College.
Following an extensive needs assessment, the decision was made to become an upper division college. Approval was given to confer the baccalaureate degree in nursing and change the name to "Saint Joseph College of Nursing."
Lois Benich is appointed President.
The last class graduates from the diploma program.
The first B.S.N. class was admitted in August of 1988 and graduated in 1990. The baccalaureate nursing program received approval from the Illinois Board of Professional Regulation (1987) and the Illinois Board of Professional Education (1987), accreditation from the National League for Nursing (1994) and accreditation from the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Institutions of Higher Education (1992).
Accredited by the Northern Central Association of Colleges and Universities (NCA).
Accredited by the National League for Nursing (NLN).
Lois Benich retires; Dr. Virginia E. Keck named President.
Enrollment reaches 185 students.
The Saint Joseph College of Nursing celebrates its 75th Anniversary.
On January 1, Saint Joseph College of Nursing became a division of the College of St. Francis and took on the Allied Health Programs. A year later, the move to university status was formalized and on January 1, 1998, the division was renamed the College of Nursing and Allied Health.