Early detection is key in the fight against breast cancer, and one of the best tools is getting a mammogram. At Presence Saint Joseph Hospital, our experienced team of breast health specialists offers advanced mammography services and superior care for women with breast cancer.
Mammography at Presence Saint Joseph Hospital: Why Choose Us
When it’s time for your annual mammogram, it’s important to work with skilled mammography experts for the best possible care. Women in the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago come to Presence Saint Joseph for many reasons:
- Award-winning breast imaging: Our program has accreditation from the American College of Radiology (ACR). Our skilled radiology technologists hold certifications from the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists. You can rest assured that your mammography team is committed to meeting and exceeding national standards for quality and safety.
- Mammography experts: Our board-certified radiologists have advanced training in reading all types of imaging, including the latest digital mammography. Our technologists and radiologists work together to obtain high-quality imaging and precisely interpret your tests for the most accurate results.
- Convenient appointments and fast results: We offer mammograms 7 days a week, with evening hours to fit your schedule. We can usually see you within 24 to 48 hours, or even the same day. We provide your screening results to your physician by the end of the day you come in.
- Friendly staff in a comfortable setting: You’ll find a welcoming atmosphere designed for your comfort and privacy, with scenic views of Lake Michigan. You receive friendly, compassionate care from our respectful, understanding staff, with minimal waiting times.
- Breast health specialists from many disciplines: If you need further care for an abnormal mammogram, our specialists and staff coordinate your care from diagnosis to treatment at Presence Saint Joseph. The team includes medical oncologists, cancer surgeons, radiation oncologists, and specialty-trained nurses, nutritionists, pharmacists and therapists.
Comprehensive Breast Care in Chicago’s Lakeview Neighborhood
At Presence Saint Joseph, you have access to a full range of breast imaging services, performed by experienced technologists and physicians:
- Mammography: This low-dose X-ray technology identifies abnormal tissue and helps physicians diagnose breast diseases.
- We recommend that women have routine screening mammograms each year starting at age 40, per the American Cancer Society guidelines.
- A diagnostic mammogram is for patients whose most recent screening mammogram showed an abnormality or those who currently have a lump, new pain in the breast or nipple discharge.
- Full-field digital mammography: This advanced imaging technology can provide sharper contrasts and identify abnormalities that may not be easily visible with traditional mammography. Digital mammography is helpful for women who have dense or thick breast tissue, are under age 50 or are pre- or peri-menopausal. Other benefits include:
- Less exposure to radiation: The radiation dose can be reduced up to 50 percent and still detect breast cancer.
- Reduced exam time: Shorter examination times mean significantly improved comfort and convenience for our patients.
- Easy storage and quick retrieval:Transmitting digital images from one physician to another is faster and easier than traditional imaging.
- 3-D mammography: Also called breast tomosynthesis, this enhanced form of digital mammography takes images from multiple different angles to produce 3-D images of the breast. Because 3-D mammography provides highly detailed images, it can improve earlier detection of small breast cancers and reduce “false positives”: test results that incorrectly indicate abnormal breast tissue.
- Breast MRI: This technology uses a magnetic field and radio frequency pulses to produce cross-sectional images of the breast. We use breast MRI to detect and diagnose breast cancer in women with a genetic predisposition for the disease.
- Breast ultrasound: This technology uses reflected high-frequency sound waves to produce an image. From almost any angle, a breast ultrasound can take images that radiologists use to evaluate suspicious areas and distinguish noncancerous cysts from other tissues that need further testing.
- Computer-aided detection (CAD) system: This software can highlight tiny irregularities in breast tissue in mammograms, breast MRIs and breast ultrasounds. CAD alerts our radiologists to carefully evaluate these areas, to detect potential cancer at earlier stages.
- Image-guided breast biopsy: If your screening mammogram shows abnormal tissue, your physician may recommend a biopsy. We offer image-guided biopsies using stereotactic (X-ray), ultrasound or MRI technology for more precise positioning of the biopsy needle. Using coordinates from the imaging, the radiologist uses a computer to guide the biopsy needle to the precise location and collect samples. This type of biopsy requires only local anesthesia.
- Needle localization prior to surgery: Some abnormalities found through breast imaging require a surgical biopsy. We perform needle localization procedures just before your biopsy to guide the surgeon to the precise area. Your radiologist uses stereotactic, ultrasound or MRI imaging to guide the needle, placing a very thin wire into the suspicious breast tissue. You then go to surgery, in which the surgeon uses the wire to find and remove the tissue. A needle localization requires local anesthesia.
We also offer bone mineral density (BMD) scanning, also known as DEXA scanning, to detect osteoporosis. A BMD scan measures calcium and other minerals in bone to check for bone loss and osteoporosis. Our specialized equipment can comfortably accommodate larger patients for accurate testing.
To find out more about our breast health services or make an appointment, call 773.665.3060.
We offer mammograms and other breast imaging procedures 7 days a week, as follows:
- Monday through Saturday, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. in the Presence Center for Advanced Care
- Sundays in the main hospital building
Presence Saint Joseph Hospital
2845 North Sheridan Road
Chicago, IL 60657
See a map and directions.
We offer convenient, low-cost parking in our lots and garage.