Presence Mercy Medical Center

For nearly a century, Presence Mercy Medical Center has provided the Fox Valley Region with healthcare that has been characterized by compassion, healing, and a deep respect for the dignity of individuals.

In 1911, the Sisters of Mercy brought the same compassion-centered healthcare to our community that still remains today. It's that same type of care that has enabled us to evolve into the Fox Valleys largest hospital.

History of Presence Mercy Medical Center:

  • The religious order of the Sisters of Mercy traces its roots to the mid-1800's when its founder, Catherine McAuley, created the order to serve the poor, sick and uneducated in Dublin, Ireland.
  • 1911 - Sisters of Mercy opened a hospital in an old apartment building in Aurora.
  • 1912 - A farm was purchased north of town to treat mental health patients.
  • 1925 - Sisters broke ground for Mercyville.
  • 1931 - A new St. Joseph Mercy Hospital was dedicated.
  • 1954 - Mercyville completes a $2 million addition.
  • 1971 - A new 250-bed hospital was built on the 160-acre former farm, that had grown to become Mercy Institute of Mental Health. The campus was named Mercy Center for Health Care Services.
  • 1996 - Three religious orders, Sisters of Mercy of the Americas, Franciscan Sisters of the Sacred Heart and Servants of the Holy Heart of Mary, merged to form Provena Health, now one of the largest Catholic healthcare systems in Illinois.
  • 2005 - Presence Mercy Medical Center added a 100,000 square-foot Surgery Center to its campus, which is the gold standard in the suburbs for surgical care. This $33 million addition is the largest project in the almost 100-year history of the hospital. 

Find a Doctor