Ground was broken for what was then called Holy Family Hospital on June 20, 1959. The hospital opened with 117 beds on June 12, 1961. The name "Holy Family" was chosen by the Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth to reflect respect for the basic element of all societies: the family.
In 1965 the hospital's first expansion project was completed. The "South Addition" increased the hospital by 18,500 square feet and doubled the number of beds. The project also included expansion of the hospital's X-Ray and Laboratory Departments.
On October 9, 1973, groundbreaking ceremonies were held for a new wing known as the Mother Francis Pavilion that now houses outpatient services.
Other facilities were completed in 1976, including the Laboratory, Lobby and Auditorium. In 1977, a Special Procedures Suite began serving patients. The Radiology Department was the first in the area to get the revolutionary CAT scanner.
The Professional Plaza Medical Building, now the Golf Medical Plaza, was completed in 1980. The building features many physician offices and a retail pharmacy.
The hospital grew in 1986 through an expansion and modernization project that included upgraded nursing units, expanded inpatient services, a larger more efficient surgery department and a Day Care Center.
The Wheeling Professional Building opened in 1995 and today many physician offices are located on site.
In 1998, Presence Holy Family Medical Center opened its third medical office building, the River Medical Plaza located adjacent to the hospital at 150 North River Road.
In 2000, the hospital opened a comprehensive Women's Imaging Center offering mammography, ultrasound, bone density scans and breast biopsy procedures.
In 2005, Presence Holy Family Medical Center became the first faith based Long-Term Acute Care Hospital (LTACH) in Illinois and the only such hospital in northwest Chicagoland.