If you or a loved one is experiencing a medical emergency, call 9-1-1 immediately.
At Presence Health, we understand what’s at stake during a heart emergency. With each second that passes, we know that you and your family are counting on us. Our heart attack program features an experienced, compassionate staff and the latest technology in emergency heart care, including newly upgraded cardiac cath labs.
We’re ready to begin treating you at a moment’s notice. Ten of our hospitals are accredited Chest Pain Centers. That means we adhere to stringent protocols and offer the full range of specialists, advanced tools and treatments needed to give you the best heart attack care.
Heart Attack Symptoms
It’s crucial to act quickly when you notice the signs of a heart attack. Approximately 85 percent of heart damage occurs within the first two hours of a heart attack. And more than 50 percent of heart attack patients experience early warning signs, including:
- Mild chest pain, like pressure, burning, aching or tightness
- Pain that travels down your arm(s)
- Jaw or back pain
- Fatigue and/or anxiety
- Feeling of fullness
- Chest pressure
- Shortness of breath
Compassionate Care, Outstanding Outcomes
Our team-driven approach to heart attack care is a big reason we can provide outstanding outcomes when you need them most. You’ll be treated by emergency room staffs trained to provide comprehensive heart attack care, diagnosing and address your chest pain fast. Our care also includes:
- Award-winning heart attack care: We have the only hospital in Chicago and one of just three in Illinois accredited by the American Heart Association for our treatment of STEMI (ST-elevation myocardial infarction, a severe type of heart attack). By gaining accreditation, we demonstrate our commitment to providing excellent service, employing best practices and adopting the latest treatment guidelines.
- Nationally renowned stroke care: We have been honored with several Gold Seals of ApprovalTM from The Joint Commission for Primary Stroke Centers, which speaks to our high level of stroke care, quick lifesaving diagnoses and advanced treatments.
- Level 1 and 2 trauma centers: Comprehensive, 24-hour emergency heart care is available at our Level 1 trauma center (located at Presence Saint Francis Hospital) and our two Level 2 trauma centers (located at Presence Mercy Medical Center and Presence Saint Joseph Hospital — Elgin).
- The know-how, tools and services you’d expect from a distant academic medical center are available close to home:
- Fast transport services: We provide helicopter and private ambulance transfers for patients who need them.
- Sophisticated diagnostic tools: Including the full range of cardiovascular diagnostic tests
- Cardiac catheterization: Including balloon angioplasty
- Arrhythmia care: Treatments for abnormal heart rhythms
- Innovative treatments:We are one of just six programs in Illinois treating chronic total occlusions with the CrossBoss™ catheter & Stingray system. CTOs are notoriously difficult to treat, but we can do so quickly and safely.
- Heart surgery
- Cardiac rehab
- Next-generation facilities: We offer the Fox River Valley’s only hybrid cardiac cath lab. This life-saving lab combines the best of both worlds: the latest cardiac cath lab technology and the capabilities of an advanced surgical suite.
- Record-setting door-to-balloon times: All of our emergency departments consistently beat the national standard for door-to-balloon time, the time it takes for a heart attack patient to get treatment. While the standard is 90 minutes, our record stands at 29.
- Seamless after-hospital care: Whether you need more help at home, additional therapy or nursing care, we’re here for you. And you don't have to go far. Presence Health nursing and rehabilitation centers are conveniently located, and Presence Home Care can help you recover in the comfort of your own home.
Find Emergency Cardiovascular Care Near You
For your transition out of the hospital and recovery, learn more about the Presence Life Connections nursing and rehabilitation centers and Presence Home Care options nearest you.