At Presence Health, we know how exhausting and disruptive a prolonged hospital stay can be. To speed your recovery, we offer the complete scope of minimally invasive heart procedures close to where you live and work.
Our cardiovascular specialists are some of the most experienced in the Midwest, so you can count on fewer complications and a quicker return to your life.
What is Cardiac Catheterization?
Cardiac catheterization is a minimally invasive procedure used to diagnose and treat heart conditions. Considered the gold standard for evaluating heart function, it’s safe, fast, highly effective and virtually painless.
During cardiac catheterization, your physician will make a tiny incision in your groin and thread a catheter (a long, thin tube equipped with a tiny scope) through a large blood vessel that leads to your heart. Once the catheter is in place, a number of diagnostic tests and treatments can be performed using tiny cameras and instruments.
Minimally Invasive Treatments for Many Conditions
We work hard to see our care through your eyes. That’s why our treatment plans are tailored to you. Wherever possible, our heart specialists diagnose and treat you using nonsurgical and minimally invasive methods.
Our cardiac catheterization services feature:
- Leadership in cardiac catheterization: Presence hospitals were among the first in Illinois to offer cardiac catheterization to patients in on-site cath labs. Previously, cardiac cath lab services were often available only via mobile units.
- Sophisticated heart mapping technology: Our cath labs are equipped with carto-navigation mapping technology, a 3D imaging system that provides precise, highly detailed views of the heart's electrical activity in real time.
- The Fox River Valley’s only hybrid cardiac cath lab: Our life-saving hybrid cath lab brings together advanced equipment and technology where doctors can perform both cath lab procedures and open-heart surgeries at the same time. Time is critical when the heart starts to fail, and, frequently, not having to change rooms can make all the difference.
- Minimally invasive chronic total occlusion (CTO) treatments: Our hospitals are among just six in Illinois treating chronic total occlusions (complete blockages within the heart’s arteries that have been present longer than three months) with the CrossBoss™ catheter & Stingray system. CTOs traditionally required open-heart surgery, but this new technology allows us to treat them with fewer risks and complications.
- State-of-the-art tools: The Sensei X® robotic-assisted cardiac navigation system enables physicians to access and visualize areas of the heart that previously were too difficult to reach, while reducing your exposure to radiation.
- Round-the-clock availability for emergency procedures: Our cath labs are available to remove life-threatening blockages during heart attacks 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Full Range of Services
You and your family deserve the most up-to-date medical technology. Our new cardiac catheterization labs allow our experienced heart specialists to investigate and treat heart conditions with amazing accuracy. Our cardiac cath lab services include:
- Coronary stenting: Noninvasive procedures in which a tiny tube (stent) is placed inside a coronary artery to keep it open after a blockage has been removed.
- Drug-eluting stents: These stents release medications that prevent plaques from reforming.
- IVC umbrella placement: Minimally invasive procedure in which a tiny device resembling an umbrella is placed within the inferior vena cava (the large blood vessel that returns blood to the heart from the lower body) to stop harmful blood clots from entering the lungs.
- Intra-aortic balloon pump: In a minimally invasive procedure, a small balloon is placed within the aorta (the largest artery in your body that is connected to the heart), then inflated and deflated to help the heart beat more normally.
- Percutaneous transluminal angioplasty (PTA): Minimally invasive heart attack treatment in which a tiny balloon is inserted into a narrowed blood vessel to compress plaque deposits and improve blood flow.
- Sensei X® Robotic Catheter System: Allows physicians to see inside the heart's chambers in 3D and in real time.
- Innova® digital angiography: Innovative heart imaging tool used to diagnose and treat heart conditions faster and with greater comfort.
Find Cardiac Cath Lab Near You
Explore a location close to home. You can also request an appointment anytime online or by calling 877.737.4636 (INFO).